Author Topic: Cyrus 8vs2 - What a lovely piece of Kit!  (Read 2389 times)

Hidden

Cyrus 8vs2 - What a lovely piece of Kit!
« on: January 26, 2010, 10:57:09 PM »
Dear all,

As promised on this forum, after buying my 8vs2 from Nickyp last week (replacing a NAD C320), I had promised a proper review of the kit!

So here we are, after giving it a proper run in over the weekend and tonight (the girlfriend is out:angel:)... After repositioning my speakers a bit... After going to a demo of Naim kit.:s

What a lovely machine that is... Basically it gives me exactly what I wanted and probably a lot more (I have to plug it into some serious speakers in the near future!).

I went to a Naim demo last Thursday (mainly a Naim Nait 5I), and that sort of scared me a bit as I was listening... (bear in mind that my Cyrus wasn't properly set up in my system by then... you just spend about 400 quids on something you haven't even plugged-in!) The Nait sounded so sweet and musical. The bass was crystal clear, dynamic and just 'foot taping' entertaining. It did indeed set a good frame of reference for what I wanted and hoped the Cyrus to be. The demo room was smaller than mine, and the speakers just a tad better than mine... So it looked pretty promising.

Back home, I did my home work over the weekend, and tonight I can finally say:

YES!!!! Cyrus 8vs2 is as good as the Naim Nait5i as far as i can judge, and it does tick every boxes in my list! My LPs have suddenly got a new breeze of fresh air around their sound. The soundstage has definitely increased in size and clarity. The bass is clear, rapid and as entertaining as the Nait, but in a sort of less 'in your face' way. It's not warm, nor cold, just the right level of sound massaging!

The Mid and High have also benefited from a good face lift, so much so that I hear from time to time bits that I'd never picked ever before on discs that I have had for years...

I have read loads of varied reviews of the 8vs2 and other Cyrus amp, I honestly, in my set up I can't find it too dry or 'top heavy'. It is a wonderfully entertaining amp. I had demo'ed an Arcam A28 last week too, and I was truly disapointed by the lack of pleasure I got out of it. it was just a machine that played music, but with no passion I felt!

I was worried that my Aviano 1 wouldn't do the kit any justice. I was wrong. As I said after pottering a bit about their position, they just delivered me buckets of details in every range. So now in front of me is a very long road to upgrade (PSX-R, Power 8, Mono X's, etc...)

But I am really excited, like a kid in a sweet shop, at the idea of listening to all my favorite LPs and CD's. I have ordered a nice new batch from internet just now and I can't wait to pop them on my system!!!!

Thank you everyone for your time.

Frank

CYRUS 8vs2 / PRO-JECT X-PERIENCE / RONDO RED / ARCAM CD82 / MS AVIANO 1

Hidden

• Open 24/7
    • Calverts Online
RE: Cyrus 8vs2 - What a lovely piece of Kit!
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2010, 11:48:46 AM »
Pleased you like the 8vs2. It is a great amp and versatile too. When you have the funds, add the PSX-R. This will add another 'leap' in the sound quality and dynamics.
MacBook (Pure Music/HiFace Evo/iPod Touch) - Little Dot CDP - Arcam T32 -> DACXP (PSX) + 2 x aPA7.5 => Focal 1007be

http://warwick-weather.com

Hidden

• Curiosity killed the audiophile.
  • Addicted
  • Simpli-FI!
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2010, 12:30:38 PM »
It really is a fine piece of machinery.
Simpli-FiED:KuzmaStabiS>NighthawkF117>LebenCS300XS>HarbethP3ESR

nickyp

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2010, 12:51:38 PM »
Hey Frank. Im really pleased you like it mate. I thought you'd be happy :)

Start saving for a PSX-R! Kipper on here sells them new with a guarentee for 349.