Author Topic: HDTracks: Curiosity got the better of me!  (Read 17876 times)

Hidden

• I'll have a beer with that
  • Seriously addicted
Re: HDTracks: Curiosity got the better of me!
« Reply #300 on: October 23, 2011, 11:19:35 PM »
5 Do you have any intention of informing all previous purchasers of this album, of this potential upsampling issue? They have actually informed all previous buyers of the original 'In Session' album of the new releases, but have still not offered any reason for doing so.

No they haven't. I've not shite from them.
CD2 / SBT (st.2 mod) > DAC3.5VB mk.2 (VBS1 mod) > LA-01 (Gen.2) > MA9S2 > B1

Hidden

« Reply #301 on: October 24, 2011, 01:18:08 PM »
Don't alot of DAC's upsample too?  Never understood why before but it's the same premise.

Absolutely. In fact that is how the early Philips CD players got around the fact that they only had 14-bit converters. Upsampling helps in that you don't need the analog filters after the converter to be as steep - steep filters are always a problem. But upsampling never adds information that is absent from the original recording. If a song that has been upconverted/upsampled sounds better than the original version, it is an indication that your DAC is less than perfect in handling 44/16.

Hidden

« Reply #302 on: February 16, 2012, 12:37:38 PM »
Has anyone the same problem as me? Used to buy a few albums on HDtracks using paypal, but now they ask to register with an adress in the states and filling in some "dummy" data does not seem to work.

It seems a licensing restriction, but with this kind of limitations they are pushing people for looking at "alternative" solutions...
                       /------------>  Power+PSXR (rear) , Smarty+PSXR in mono (center) ----> Focal Chorus           
DVD -> AV8        ------       --->   !
                                                  ! Manual switch -> 2xHypex400 -> Audio Physics Tempo 25
iTunes -> AEX->Audiolab MDac->  !

Hidden

• Addicted
  • It's all about the music.
« Reply #303 on: February 16, 2012, 02:37:20 PM »
Haven't purchased any HD Tracks for about six weeks and had no problem then.  I'll let you know next time I find something I want to download.

If they have imposed this restriction it almost invites piracy.

I have noticed that some albums are not currently available - Band On The Run, for example, and there are others.

I've written to HDTracks asking why "Tea For The Tillerman" can't be downloaded and am presently in correspondence about this - they say I should be able to download!
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 11:00:33 PM by SteveC »
Oppo 105D Blu-Ray -----> Emotiva UMC-200\
Cyrus Stream Xv2 ------> Oyaide DR-510 --------> DAC XP Sig/PSXR ---->Tellurium Q Black XLR-->2xMono X300 Sigs-->  MCRU Ultimate--> Vienna Acoustics BBGs, Maestro Centre, Mozart rears (3X Mono X), REL 328 Sub, Sources via AG1500 mains regen.

Hidden

« Reply #304 on: February 16, 2012, 03:02:55 PM »
If they have done that then thats the end of my HD Music downloads, I do not really recognize or want many of the alternative HD site material.
Is there any alternatives out there with similar rock / pop Material.??
caps. streamer-Resolution audio opus 21, Chord qbd76HD-  Modright ls36.5 - SCM50ASL'S

Resolution audio cd50-atcsia2-150 - proac 18

Hidden

« Reply #305 on: March 21, 2012, 12:24:16 PM »
Has anyone the same problem as me? Used to buy a few albums on HDtracks using paypal, but now they ask to register with an adress in the states and filling in some "dummy" data does not seem to work.

It seems a licensing restriction, but with this kind of limitations they are pushing people for looking at "alternative" solutions...

Install any of the free background utilities that make your PC look like having a US IP address.  Worked perfectly first time for me with HDTracks.  I used Hotspot Shield.

Hidden

• X Power is in and singing!
« Reply #306 on: April 21, 2012, 03:42:58 AM »
FYI, I tried HotSpot Shield today and it didn't work. www.hdtracks.com simply doesn't load. It's quite an offensive piece of software in my opinion too. If you go to google.com it offers to 'disable google tracking' for you. If you agree it instead just sends you to there own search portal with ridiculous numbers of ads. After it's enabled I couldn't find a way to disable it, well, until I uninstalled HotSpot Shield which I did pretty quickly.

There's also cyberhostvpn which offers the same service, but I couldn't get it to connect to a US VPN server with the free version, only German ones which isn't much use in this case.

However they do offer a web based proxy service which you can select a US server from and it worked perfectly for me:

https://cyberghostvpn.com/proxy/

Just put www.hdtracks.com into the field, uncheck 'remove scripts' and 'remove objects', select 'US Server' then hit enter. You can then purchase tracks no problems. One thing I would do though is go to hdtracks.com outside of the proxy first and register your CC information with your account. Then go there through the proxy to make your purchase. That way the proxy doesn't potentially see your CC info. Though that may be me being just a bit paranoid :)
HiFi: (Marantz CD4000/Squeezebox Touch)/(Designed Acoustics MP-200 > Musical Fidelity XLPv3) > Pre XPd QX > XPower(mono)(psx-r) > MA GS60
AV: Denon DVD2930/(Thecus 7700Pro > PS3s) > AVM8 > 8Power > Dyn Audience 72 [f] / Dyn 122C / Acoustic Research RedBox II [r]

Hidden

• Gentleman upstart
  • Seriously addicted
  • What a f@cking waster
« Reply #307 on: May 01, 2012, 11:01:17 PM »
Another dissatisfied customer of HDTracks - this time mis-advertising Talking Heads...

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/threads/11790-Talking-Heads-Catalog-on-HDtracks
' I'm a street walking cheetah with a heart full of napalm...'
Sources:           Gyrodec; Modwright TP - DDDAC 1794
Amplifiers:        None;
Loudspeakers:  Event Opal monitors

Hidden

• Best upgrade - roll another fat one.
  • How many posts?
  • "I've never seen so many knobs"
« Reply #308 on: May 01, 2012, 11:26:44 PM »
"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!
 The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
 Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
 The frumious Bandersnatch!"

Hidden

• Lord of Sand.
  • Seriously addicted
    • http://www.moorgateacoustics.co.uk
« Reply #309 on: June 02, 2012, 03:38:40 PM »
We get round the non US problem by using Paypal. Our latest purchase was Tea For The Tillerman which is stunning.