Author Topic: van den hul first ultimate  (Read 1055 times)

Hidden

• hi fi nutcase
  • Seriously addicted
van den hul first ultimate
« on: February 22, 2009, 10:32:37 PM »
reading quite  a lot of hi fi critic magazines they looked at loads of interconnects inc kimber, audioquest and many others , it is interesting that this cable interconnect scored very highly indeed over much more expensive stuff like abbey road.
if any of you are are looking for a brilliant relatively cheap s/h interconnect then this might fit the bill.
audio note M-one , msb s200
bel canto 3.5vbs/vbs1 FM1 tuner
msb cd4, sigmas conditioning
martin logan summit x
back-promo  /RFC /chord epic /coherant cabling/ps audio

Hidden

• Cyrus West Coast
  • Addicted
    • http://www.dodkin.com
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 10:52:56 PM »
I use VDH - very happy :D
Imagine a really nice graphic of a Mac Pro playing iTunes from a 1TB Raid array - it's streaming via Airport Extreme WiFi to a CA DacMagic - which is feeding a Cyrus aCA7 pre-amp and 4 bi-amped aPA7 mono-blocks - which in turn powers a nice pair of ProAc Response 2.5 Speakers.
There's a CD8x + PSxr

Hidden

• Addicted
  • "...it's a Fillmore isn't it? Real futuristic..."
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 11:05:14 PM »
I use Chord, very happy! ;)
Laughter is cheap when it's :D  :D at the expense of others!  
Project Experience/Ortofon rondo red/MF XLPSV3 : CD8XSE2 :
Synology NAS : Stream X2 :  Pre Qx Dac :
PSX-R : 2x Mono X : Spendor S5e :
Grado SR125/Arcam rPAC : iMac :

I love a bargain, me!

Hidden

• Never Trust A Woman With A Beard
  • Addicted
  • Never trust a control freak
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2009, 11:30:46 PM »
VDH first ultimate just superb and i may replace my ml cryo refs with these eventually.The only, "problem", for me when i last used them was a tad too bright but then i have changed my set up since then ie Kimber4tc which i rekon should tame the afforementioned brightness but i have bid for some Audioquest Quartz 3 Ic's which i had for years and are great cables...
Man up and tell me the truth

shrink

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2009, 11:46:34 PM »
i used some VDH... didnt like it.. moved on

Hidden

• Addicted
  • "...it's a Fillmore isn't it? Real futuristic..."
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2009, 12:11:37 AM »
...not to Chord, I'll bet! :lol: :cool:
Laughter is cheap when it's :D  :D at the expense of others!  
Project Experience/Ortofon rondo red/MF XLPSV3 : CD8XSE2 :
Synology NAS : Stream X2 :  Pre Qx Dac :
PSX-R : 2x Mono X : Spendor S5e :
Grado SR125/Arcam rPAC : iMac :

I love a bargain, me!

jubair

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2009, 02:31:52 AM »
I have just sold vdh first ultimate mk2 on ebay today (for the same price i bought it at) because I found the presentation a bit lean and bright. I decided to give it a try after reading the colloms listing on hifi critic. I had the same problem with the missing link cryo. The best results I've had so far in my system has been with the kimber crystal-cu (-16db attenuation) so I'm going to stick with that. It just goes to show how much depends on your system and ears among other factors.

shrink

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2009, 03:03:44 AM »
i suspect the problem is mate, that your systems natural balance IS  a bit lean and bright!!

The cables you mention were simply showing you that. Sounds like the kimber is able to balance that out a little, and thats good in this case. I would say that the other two cables are more neutral though.

jubair

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2009, 01:16:26 PM »
I suspect your right, but if every interconnect sounds different how do you know which one is the neutral one?

shrink

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2009, 01:46:01 PM »
experience i guess... you try enough of them to eventually establish some kind of reference. In my system the Link Cryo is dead even, and is cleaner and more open than my previous VDH, but smoother than a few other cables i have here. It gets the balance pretty spot on.

Hidden

• hi fi nutcase
  • Seriously addicted
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2009, 09:16:54 PM »
Quote from: Hidden
I have just sold vdh first ultimate mk2 on ebay today (for the same price i bought it at) because I found the presentation a bit lean and bright. I decided to give it a try after reading the colloms listing on hifi critic. I had the same problem with the missing link cryo. The best results I've had so far in my system has been with the kimber crystal-cu (-16db attenuation) so I'm going to stick with that. It just goes to show how much depends on your system and ears among other factors.

yes, i read the same article. thats very interesting , i found it far from bright. but as you say it is system dependant . incidentally i notice m colloms liked the epic
audio note M-one , msb s200
bel canto 3.5vbs/vbs1 FM1 tuner
msb cd4, sigmas conditioning
martin logan summit x
back-promo  /RFC /chord epic /coherant cabling/ps audio