Author Topic: MHZS CD88E Valve CD Player  (Read 2244 times)

mattyboyOLD

MHZS CD88E Valve CD Player
« on: July 11, 2009, 08:00:51 PM »
Anybody got any experience of this machine..or know of its suitability as a transport??

Cheers...

shrink

« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2009, 08:11:45 PM »
why would you need a valve cd player for a transport?

seriously matt.. no offence mate, but doesnt sound like you have a clue what it is your looking for or what your trying to find.

I mean a valve cd player as a transport? the valve only operates on the analogue output stage, its otherwise just a crappy transport with a bog standard digital feed, and is no better than most cd player as far as this is concerned.

Just find something with a decent philips mech, like a cyrus or marantz cd player and use this. Unless your willing to spend the cash to get a dedicated transport, its all going to be very much the same difference.

also couldnt you just tag these questions onto the end of your existing transport thread, rather than having created three seperate threads now, all asking the same thing?

I suggested ages ago.. that if you wanted you could have tried the DVD7 as a transport, which i find it to be very good at. But you havent got back to me on that, so i really cant work out what it is your trying to find.

darren

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2009, 08:29:44 PM »
Agree with Shrink.

mattyboyOLD

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2009, 10:49:13 AM »
Ill shut it then :|

Hidden

• Gentleman upstart
  • Seriously addicted
  • What a f@cking waster
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2009, 12:15:23 PM »
Slow down boy! :)
' I'm a street walking cheetah with a heart full of napalm...'
Sources:           Gyrodec; Modwright TP - DDDAC 1794
Amplifiers:        None;
Loudspeakers:  Event Opal monitors

mattyboyOLD

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2009, 01:12:08 PM »
Quote from: Hidden
Slow down boy! :)

We cant all be slow donkeys Mr Donkey...Im a time cop remember :D

shrink

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2009, 01:17:34 PM »
yeah matt, you seem to be all confuffled and going round in circles over this whole thing.

If you want to have a disc spinner as well as a digital solution. I would recommend picking up a marantz CD63 (or the KI sig if you can get it). It uses the same CDM12.4 transport thats in the DAD3/CD7 etc and it makes a fine transport. The KI sig is a little better because of the copper chassis and better isolated power supply.

You can pick up either for less than 100!!

mattyboyOLD

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2009, 01:21:55 PM »
why would you need a valve cd player for a transport?

seriously matt.. no offence mate, but doesnt sound like you have a clue what it is your looking for or what your trying to find.

I mean a valve cd player as a transport? the valve only operates on the analogue output stage, its otherwise just a crappy transport with a bog standard digital feed, and is no better than most cd player as far as this is concerned.

Just find something with a decent philips mech, like a cyrus or marantz cd player and use this. Unless your willing to spend the cash to get a dedicated transport, its all going to be very much the same difference.

also couldnt you just tag these questions onto the end of your existing transport thread, rather than having created three seperate threads now, all asking the same thing?

I suggested ages ago.. that if you wanted you could have tried the DVD7 as a transport, which i find it to be very good at. But you havent got back to me on that, so i really cant work out what it is your trying to find.

1)Yes I am fully aware of it being a valve cd player I was however thinking it might have a good transport mech and I quite liked the look of it ... I don't know any more about it other than that..is that ok with you ?

2) Is there some sort of forum rules that am apparently not adhering too and therefore has annoyed you...

3) RE DVD7 "Ages ago" as in earlier this week you mean!...Listen I emailed you and  answered your questions over the sale of my Naim cd3.5 and flat cap... in this email I asked you to send me some pics of your DVD7 ...you didn't reply :(

I don't see why you have beef over this (lambs much nicer :D )

Have a fat one as realoldfart would say ;)

Hidden

• Gentleman upstart
  • Seriously addicted
  • What a f@cking waster
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2009, 01:30:22 PM »
Matty, have you got any sort of CD spinner at present?

If you have, and its got outputs you can use to connect to the QBD I suggest keeping hold of it until you've played with the DAC for a bit and made your mind up which way you want to go.  Otherwise a 100 'placeholder' unit as Shrink suggests would be a good idea.

I have a sneaking suspicion that once you've heard the QBD playing lossless from your laptop that your inclination to spend large sums on a transport will start to wane..
' I'm a street walking cheetah with a heart full of napalm...'
Sources:           Gyrodec; Modwright TP - DDDAC 1794
Amplifiers:        None;
Loudspeakers:  Event Opal monitors

shrink

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2009, 01:32:10 PM »

2) Is there some sort of forum rules that am apparently not adhering too and therefore has annoyed you...

3) RE DVD7 "Ages ago" as in earlier this week you mean!...Listen I emailed you and  answered your questions over the sale of my Naim cd3.5 and flat cap... in this email I asked you to send me some pics of your DVD7 ...you didn't reply :(

2)you cant see how posting several threads in the same forum section, asking the same thing, might be a little irritating to the other members?

3)I dont recall being asked for pics... but its a satin black DVD7 mate... we all know what one looks like. In the same vain that means I'm not looking for pics of a naim CD player. My kit is never in bad condition, and i wouldnt even advertise it if it was.  

However, due to some other rather unfortunate expenses, I can't afford to replace the DVD7 at this stage. Would have been very interested to hear the CD3.5 in my system. But I'm sure you'll do fine on ebay with it.

mattyboyOLD

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2009, 01:38:32 PM »
Matty, have you got any sort of CD spinner at present?

If you have, and its got outputs you can use to connect to the QBD I suggest keeping hold of it until you've played with the DAC for a bit and made your mind up which way you want to go.  Otherwise a 100 'placeholder' unit as Shrink suggests would be a good idea.

I have a sneaking suspicion that once you've heard the QBD playing lossless from your laptop that your inclination to spend large sums on a transport will start to wane..

Yes I agree ...but my current source is the very lovely naim CD3.5 and it has no digital output most if not all post olive range naim products dont have this!

I also agree with your comments about the old lossless via the laptop...and this is why I don't want to spend alot ( 50- 250) on the transport...

Hence my almost constant bombardment of questions regarding this..

favourites are a silver cambridge audio Azur 34oc which I can steal for 60!

Or at the other end of my budget either a Nad 542/Cyrus discmaster 8..possibly 7/ and a CDXT

shrink

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2009, 01:41:23 PM »
id avoid the CA if you can... the modern ones use SONY transports... and in my experience SONY transports sound a bit dreary when fed to external DAC's

although the CDXT has reliability issues... it is a fine sounding unit.. and I may even consider one myself if a cheapie came up for sale. Add a PSX-R and its a seriously good transport for less than 500!!

shrink

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2009, 01:45:41 PM »
theres a few cheap marantz CD67's on ebay right now.

darren

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2009, 01:51:14 PM »
Matt

Buy the CA for 60 and an Apple Airport Express for another 60ish.

They will both get sound to the DAC and can be used as benchmarks should you ever wish to audition expensive transports.

mattyboyOLD

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2009, 07:30:08 PM »
I probably will go for the 340c as I used to own a 640c v2...liked the operation of the drawer and the remote is pretty nice too..for the money I don't think I can go too wrong really...

Now for this airport thingy ma bob..

How would I use this ..i.e where would I connect it and how would I configure it??