Author Topic: BK XLS200-DF Subwoofer Review  (Read 6138 times)

Hidden

• Original Junglist
BK XLS200-DF Subwoofer Review
« on: September 11, 2009, 02:24:09 PM »
I've had this sub for a few weeks now. BK are OEM suppliers for several subwoofer manufacturers, and I bought this sub after the recommendations of users here and on avforums - thanks for Hazzaman for his feedback. It's the first sub I have owned - unless you count a crappy Logitech 2.1 PC speaker system with it's one note "sub" - so it's hard to review without having any basis of comparison.

http://www.bkelec.com/HiFi/Sub_Woofers/XLS200-DF.htm

My first concern would be that it would provide a noticeably artificial bump at lower frequencies. No problems here, with very minor tweaking - setting the cut off at around 60Hz, admittedly above the supposed 45Hz rolloff of my Dynaudios, and setting it to about 30-40% power, it blends quite seamlessly with the lower bass from the main speakers. Unless there is a lot of energy in the lower frequencies I can't often hear the sub as separate from the Dynaudios, rather it fills them out with a little extra bass extension. Besides providing frequencies that are not there, it seems to provide a fuller sound towards lower notes that aren't really in it's range, such as double bass hits.

To my ears it has excellent control and definition, when there are defined low bass notes, for example with Roots Manuva or Boards Of Canada, it is audibly playing clearly different notes rather than going "WHAH WHAH WHOAH". Although you can crank it up a notch and it does that too :)

Subs are notoriously difficult to place without using a sound meter, and to be honest I've just whacked mine against the back wall and haven't done any proper setup. I played a stepped sine wave through it and there are definite room issues, but the real nasties are actually out of it's frequency range and at the bottom of the Dynaudios. I will get around to nerding er looking at my room acoustics but I'm too busy playing with wires and things at the moment.

What this sub doesn't do is provide real bass slam - it's not a Funktion One sound system and it's not really a movie sub either. For that I gather you'd be better off with the XLS300/Monolith in the BK range. It has a gentle rolloff which I think contributes to it's natural sound with music and due to it's size - about a foot in each dimension - it doesn't have real low bass rumble. For that BK have a new XLS400 sub which is supposed to have extra bass extension whilst still sounding natural with music. But unless you really want real junglist slam or have a very big room I think the XLS200 is plenty. Highly recommended, especially at it's 300 pricepoint.

Matthew.

Hidden

• Forever tweaking because I enjoy it...
  • Seriously addicted
  • Entering the world of black discs again...
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2009, 02:42:01 PM »
Nice review but I would not think Dyns need any more bass  :o I just purchased a REL 205s for 180  :D  I will use it for AV duties but will try it on my 2 ch setup to see what it can do  :cool:
Main system: GyroDec > Dynavector XX2MK2, >Auralic Aries >DDDAC 1794>Coherant 4d>Sugden Masterclass Pre Amp>Coherant 4d & 4D Mains >Sugden Sapphire FBA-800 & 4D Mains >Coherant 4D Speaker Cable>Cabasse Egea 3

Hidden

• you gotta be handy with the steel
  • Addicted
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2009, 02:44:06 PM »
Nice review  - Junglist slam - i like the sound of that - i have a bit of that in my car but no neon kit!!!

Nerding - not just the ugly one in eternal   :P
IsoTek Sigmas - Nordost Vishnu/Silver Iego - BCVBS1 -BC CD2 - Coherent 4D - BR Feet - Nordost Vishnu - BC DAC3VB -Coherent 3D -Fidelity Reference Mains - Belles A22 - Coherent 3D - Coherent 3D Mains- Gamut D200Mk3 - Analysis Plus Crystal Solo 8 - Focal 1028be

Hidden

• lives in Versailles, buys hifi in UK
  • Addicted
  • Anglais
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2009, 02:45:51 PM »
Interesting I've been thinking about one of these as they get rave reviews on avforums...

... Seems very good price but I think I'll go for 400 rather than 200.

I'm thinking of only AV use but I think I need to go and hear a few before buying anything.
CDXTSE2/PSX-R(Nordost Silver Line)BC DAC3VB(Atlas Navigator)BC Pre3VB(Atlas Navigator)2xMonoX(Coherent 4D)WB Arc
HUMAX Freesat+/Sony BDPS280>AVMaster8>SP+>WB Sq. Centre>> Monitor Audio RXW12 sub>>Spendor SR5

Hidden

• Forever tweaking because I enjoy it...
  • Seriously addicted
  • Entering the world of black discs again...
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2009, 03:03:07 PM »
Yeap I hear you and it is none that getting bass right improves the mid and treble frequencies. I will be interested to hear the REF in my system.
Main system: GyroDec > Dynavector XX2MK2, >Auralic Aries >DDDAC 1794>Coherant 4d>Sugden Masterclass Pre Amp>Coherant 4d & 4D Mains >Sugden Sapphire FBA-800 & 4D Mains >Coherant 4D Speaker Cable>Cabasse Egea 3

Hidden

• you gotta be handy with the steel
  • Addicted
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2009, 03:08:57 PM »
I had seen this and wondered if making one would yield any benefit?
At 260 and you have to make it yourself - could it really compete with 900 rrp stuff???
http://iplacoustics.co.uk/ipl%20Sw4%20active%20sub.htm
IsoTek Sigmas - Nordost Vishnu/Silver Iego - BCVBS1 -BC CD2 - Coherent 4D - BR Feet - Nordost Vishnu - BC DAC3VB -Coherent 3D -Fidelity Reference Mains - Belles A22 - Coherent 3D - Coherent 3D Mains- Gamut D200Mk3 - Analysis Plus Crystal Solo 8 - Focal 1028be